Present: Janice Kerekes, District 1; Carol Studdard, District 2; Tina Bullock, District 3; Johnna McKinnon, District 4; Lisa Graham, District 5; and Superintendent Charlie Van Zant.
2. Redesigning Clay County High Schools
The purpose of this workshop was to provide information regarding "The Academies of Clay" and how the redesign of Clay County's high schools with small learning communities (Academies) can improve teaching and learning.
- Diane Kornegay, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction, gave a brief introduction of the workshop presenters.
- Alice Paulk, Supervisor of CTE, gave an Overview and historical perspective.
- Chereese Stewart, Director of Career and Technical Education, presented Next Steps.
- David Broskie, Principal of Oakleaf High School, talked about how principals are preparing for the redesign.
- Chris Wester, Keystone Heights High School's Teacher of the Year and also one of Clay County's top five TOY finalists, spoke about the benefits of the redesign from a teacher's perspective.
- Zach Cox, former Academy student, talked about learning in the Academcy environment.
- Angie Benitez, parent of an Academy student, gave a parent's perspective of the Academy program.
- Emily Weiskopf, Supervisor of School Improvement/Professional Development & Assessment, answered questions about training that will be provided to teachers.
Following the presentations, the workshop portion of the meeting was closed and after a short break, the special meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.
3. Job Descriptions
Attachment: Job Description Actions 2 10 14.pdf
Speakers from the Audience: Renna Lee Paiva and Kelly Griffis
There was Board discussion about changes to the following job descriptions. These job descriptions will be brought back at the February 20, 2014, meeting for revision:
- Deputy Superintendent
- Public Relations Officer
- Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources
- Supervisor of Certified Teacher Placement
- Director of Student Services
|Approve the job descriptions except those noted for revision.||- PASS|
|Motion: Tina Bullock|
|Second: Lisa Graham|
|Lisa Graham||- Aye|
|Janice Kerekes||- Aye|
|Johnna McKinnon||- Aye|
|Carol Studdard||- Aye|
|Tina Bullock||- Aye|
Mrs. Bullock spoke briefly about safe crisis management.
Mrs. Studdard gave a quick reminder about the Science Fair being held tomorrow (February 11th) at the Clay County Fairgrounds. The Awards ceremony begins at 6:30 p.m.