Dr. Copeland covered the upcoming meeting calendars:
1) June 23, 2011 at 3:00 p.m. - Board Workshop/Action Meeting - Review Employee Benefits and review and adopt Property, Casualty and Liability Health Insurance
2) July 12, 2011 at 4:00 p.m. - Board Workshop to Review Budget-All Funds
3) July 21, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. - Regular Board Meeting - Request authorization to advertise for Tentative Budget and Millage. Advertisement will be submitted to newspaper on July 26, 2011
4) August 1, 2011 at 5:15 p.m. - Public Hearing & Adoption of Tentative Budget & Millage
5) August 18, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. Regular Board Meeting and Review Tentative Long Range Educational Facilities Plan. Alternate date for Facilities Plan review is August 25, 2011
6) September 15, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. - Regular Board Meeting & Adoption of Final Budget & Educational Facilities Plan
Dr. Copeland provided a handout and a brief history of the General Fund budget. The Base Student Allocation has decreased by $144.54, Retirement Rate was reduced by 5.86% and the Lottery continues to decline, as well as Class Size Reduction funds. Taking into consideration everything that deals with the FEFP funding, the district lost $8,050,409. Total shortfall to the district is $19,729,689.
In fund saving measures the district has cut-off purchase orders that were not critical needs, reduced workers compensation contribution to self-insurance fund, used long term substitutes, where feasible, and reclassified the Education Jobs Fund to help reduced the district's shortfall.
As we approach 2011-2012, in order to create a balanced budget and an undistributed fund balance of 3%, we have decreased allocations by 35 including 3 administrators; Florida Retirement System savings was reduced from 10.77% to 4.91%, and have held division budgets to 2010-2011 levels, except for critical needs.